August 19, 2011

Exercise and Happiness

I think that one of the main reasons I choose to exercise is because of the great feeling that I get afterwords. I feel strong, happy, and alive. I feel like I did something good for my body that will help me in the long run so that I don't wrinkle too soon or lose my metabolism too quickly. I don't only want to be a mom one day, I want to be a fit mom that can take her kids hiking and play tennis with them and run after them if need be.

I try to balance cardio, weights, and yoga. My favorite is yoga, but this can get expensive and doesn't burn nearly as many calories as a good run does. With weights, I think it's best to stick to lighter loads with more reps in order to look more like Jessica Alba and less like Jillian Michaels.

I would recommend to anyone feeling a little under the weather to increase the amount that you exercise. It really makes you feel good about yourself. You can set managable goals (such as going for a 20 minute run 3 times a week) and then work up from there, creating a sense of self accomplishment and making it more fun to go shopping for jeans because your waist is smaller! Plus, you can add a little more dessert to your usual allowance. Caramel sauce on top of my chocolate chip cookie ice cream? Don't mind if I do!

Of course, it's not always so easy to fit exercise into a busy schedule, but I promise it's worth it if you can. My best advice is to try a new work out class. In my experience, it is much easier to cycle faster, kick harder, or lift higher when there is an entire class and an instructor encouraging you. Plus, keeping your body guessing and avoiding doing the same routine over and over is much for effective for overall results.

The truth is, being happy is more important than anything. It is more important than being fit, more important than being rich, and much more important than looking good. I try every day to make the people that I love happy, and they do the same for me. But when it's up to me to ensure my own happiness, nothing does it like a good workout. And maybe some chocolate ice cream.

Love,

Toni

1 comment:

  1. A really very interesting read! I hope you keep updating us with more info!

    ReplyDelete